In a matter of weeks, I turn 30...
But honestly I haven't been nervous about it. In fact, I haven't really thought about it much at all. In general, I don't make a big deal about my birthday and just celebrate in small ways with girlfriends here and there. This year, after what was an awkward conversation, to say the least, with my husband about how he doesn't (and I do) enjoy hoopla and shenanigans, my hubby is planning 3 very special surprises to celebrate my 3 decades of life. With all the care and planning he's put into, it's actually getting me pretty excited.
The turn of a decade is making me think about change, specifically what I can change. Time and time again, I'm reminded that I can't change people and I'm learning more and more that I'm at the mercy of my circumstances as well. I'm trying my best to "own" (in true Oprah fashion) what circumstances I find myself in and to make the best of them, but I think I need to learn to take more joy in the little things I do have control over. Like what perfume I use. What book I read. What shoes I wear.
So this weekend, I'll begin my celebration with a new bottle of perfume (Lovestruck by Vera Wang), abandoning the book I can't seem to finish (Maine) and starting one I've been wanting to read (The Help), and maybe even a new handbag or pair of shoes.

No comments:
Post a Comment