![]() |
The crankiness fueling this post is actually the topic of my post, rather than Lent, really. One of the most difficult things about constantly being surrounded by people is that you are undoubtedly affected by them, their moods, their emotional up- and down-swings. Even so many of vices are subject to the influence of others. When people say they're "social drinkers" or "social smokers" or "social eaters," they're saying they drink, smoke, and eat because or when they're around other people... We're made to be relational, and our behaviors are absolutely affected.
I've been in a bit of an emotional slump lately, and I realized that rather than the usual depressed and mopey, I've actually been pretty cranky and angry. With some organizational changes at work that merely mean more work and more challenging people on a daily basis and the mounting work from my second job, the feelings of being overwhelmed and short-tempered have taken over.
So it made me wonder, can we really be in charge of our emotions? One of my friends often prays that the Holy Spirit would "control us." Can we really put mind over matter, make ourselves truly joyful when our emotions or dispositions aren't truly that way? Maybe what my real question is Can that joy then be truly genuine or will it always be manufactured?
I've decided to finally, officially, for the last 3.5 weeks before Easter, I'll give up complaining on Twitter/Facebook. Acknowledging that, just the way others have been affecting me, I can (and am) affecting others with my attitude as well, I will instead post an encouragement, aimed at myself mostly. People will probably be able to tell what my complaint is anyway, but here's hoping I can learn to control my mind and tongue a little more through this exercise.

No comments:
Post a Comment